Everything you need to know about UP gangster Vikas Dubey encounter

Most wanted UP gangster Vikas Dubey was killed in an encounter in Kanpur, Uttar Pradesh today when he was being brought from Madhya Pradesh. Dubey was the main accused in the killing of eight policemen in the Kanpur encounter and he was on the run since then. Here is a brief timeline on how the incidents unfolded which lead to his death.

Everything you need to know about UP gangster Vikas Dubey encounter

Vikas Dubey was a relatively unknown name and face to most in Uttar Pradesh and the whole country and its underworld till Friday, July 3. As the sun dawned on Friday, Vikash Dubey had become the most wanted on the list of Uttar Pradesh Police. 

Dubey and his accomplices had killed eight police personnel in Bikru village in Chaubepur police circle. The police team had gone to Vikas Dubey’s house Friday evening to arrest him in a case of attempt to murder.

He murdered the police officials in cold blood and fled the scene with all his accomplices on July 3.

The incident was the first of its kind in Uttar Pradesh since Yogi Adityanath came to power. This led to nationwide outrage and cast aspersions on the law and order situation in the state of Uttar Pradesh and the efficiency of Uttar Pradesh Police which at many times have been involved in violent encounters with criminals usually resulting in criminals dying. 

Dubey, who had been tipped off about the police raid by some moles in the police force, was prepared with his gang and planned to kill the police personnel and flee the scene.

The Kanpur police killed two suspects in a violent encounter, Prem Prakash Pandey and Atul Dubey, within a few hours of the incident.

In another reactionary measure, the police department which is expected to maintain law and order demolished Dubey’s house in Bikru village and vandalised his two vehicles and two tractors with earthmovers. 

The frequent extrajudicial killings of suspects raised many ears and various political leaders criticised this action and questioned the law and order situation in the state of Uttar Pradesh which had in their words had been turned into a police state where every suspect was being killed by the police. Various human rights organisations also criticised the extrajudicial killings. 

Station officer Vinay Tiwari and inspector K.K. Sharma were suspended after their call detail records confirmed their conversation with the gangster. The duo was arrested on Wednesday in the suspicion of tipping off the gangster. 

As investigations progressed, the political connections of Vikas Dubey grabbed headlines. His photographs with top political leaders across the political spectrum added to the discomfiture of the people in power and in the opposition. His mother said that he was a former member of Samajwadi Party to which the party denied any such association with the gangster on loose. 

Political parties indulged in playing the blame game as the STF hunted down and killed Dubey’s accomplices Amar Dubey on Wednesday in Hamirpur and Bauan Dubey in Etawah. 

Prabhat Mishra, who was arrested from Faridabad on Wednesday, was shot dead in an encounter on Thursday – ironically, at the same spot where Vikas Dubey would later be killed on Friday.

Vikas Dubey remained invisible to the police. Fifty teams of state police and Special Task Force raided all his hideouts and picked up his relatives in an attempt to mount pressure on the gangster which also sparked criticisms from various organisations. 

The borders of the state were sealed and intensive searches were being carried out on the highways while Vikas remained hidden in a relative’s house in Kanpur itself for two days.

He somehow managed to reach Faridabad where he was caught in a CCTV camera at a hotel. The police reached after he had left.

Every move of Vikas Dubey was also monitored by the news media which made him some notorious celebrity overnight. 

While the police continued their attempts to arrest the gangster, Vikas Dubey quietly moved to Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh. 

On Thursday morning, he went to the famous Mahakal temple where he revealed his identity and got himself arrested. Video footage revealed that he shouted his name so that people will remember him and he would not be gunned down by police keeping in mind the human rights and possible repercussions. 

Later, he was handed over to the UP Police and he was brought back to Kanpur. In a very dramatic turn of events, media was stopped at a toll plaza and an accident ridden SUV was seen next. Later police said that Vikash Dubey had been killed in a violent encounter where he tried to run away by snatching the firearm from police personnel.

Leave a Reply